DevMeeting 2016-05-22

From Monerobase
Jump to: navigation, search

Courtesy dEBRUYNE @ [1]

<fluffypony> ok
<fluffypony> das meeting
<ArticMine> has started
<fluffypony> heh heh
<xmrpromotions> let the fun begin
<fluffypony> hyc, smooth, moneromooo, dEBRUYNE, gingeropolous, luigi1112, luigi1114, anyone I've missed
<fluffypony> hokay so
<fluffypony> first up: for those that haven't done so, please commit to the StackExchange proposal: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero
<gingeropolous> oooh i get pinged for dev meetings? :)
<xmrpromotions> and earn rep: https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/2542/stack-exchange-commitment-requirements
<fluffypony> you're basically just committing to asking / answering a total of 10 questions over 3 months
<fluffypony> also it would be advantageous if you have over 200 rep on another StackExchange site, as xmrpromotions said
<fluffypony> I earned over 200 rep on bitcoin.stackexchange by answering like 4 questions, so it's not hard
<fluffypony> ok maybe like 6 questions, but still, not hard
<fluffypony> I think getting 200 committers in total will be easy, but having 100 committers with sufficient rep might be a little harder
<fluffypony> ok so
<fluffypony> PRs
<fluffypony> over the last couple of weeks we've merged a few PRs
<fluffypony> obviously
<fluffypony> the biggest one being the performance branch
<fluffypony> which was what warptangent was working on before he passed away
<fluffypony> and which was completed by hyc and everyone else
* dEBRUYNE pages tewinget, NoodleDoodle, ArticMine, othe
<dEBRUYNE> probably missed someone
<fluffypony> we are seeing some latent issues with auto-conversions, or that appear to be coming from the auto-conversion
<fluffypony> if users hit issues with that the fastest route is for them to sync from scratch
<fluffypony> iirc smooth has a broken conversion that we can use to analyse the issue
<fluffypony> 810 and 775 are dangling
<fluffypony> moneromooo: do you want those to stay open at present ?
<moneromooo> 810 might be cancelled, not sure.
<fluffypony> ok
<moneromooo> 775 is ready AFAIK.,
<fluffypony> ok will test it
<fluffypony> 818 is in a holding pattern pending some discussion; based on what shen has been doing lately my feeling is that we leave that till after RingCT is done
<fluffypony> on that note, RingCT seems to be pushing ahead quite nicely
<fluffypony> moneromooo: how's it looking from your side ?
<moneromooo> I'm not a cryptographer, so I got no clue really :P
<fluffypony> hah hah
<moneromooo> Once I figure out what goes where, it's just code after that.
<fluffypony> I know you're waiting for input from shen, but is it starting to make a bit of sense ?
<moneromooo> Though a lot of it I think
<fluffypony> kk
<moneromooo> Mot yet, but I've not spent a lot of time on it today (and yesterday I was out).
<fluffypony> alright
<saddam> moneromooo: I want to decrypt it manually so I can detect transactions sent to an integrated address of mine in the tx pool. Is there another way to do it?
<fluffypony> then next weekend I'll be at Bitcoin in Use in Arnhem, Netherlands
<moneromooo> How will you know it's an integrated address of yours in the first place ?
<fluffypony> and there will be several other Monero-er-ains there as well
<fluffypony> including some devs, most notably hyc
<xmrpromotions> a few ppl told me they want to meet you there:)
<saddam> oh it's the meeting, sorry. I'll wait to discuss that later moneromooo
<fluffypony> if anyone else is going to be there please let me know, we can do a Monero supper on the Saturday or something
<fluffypony> next up is a chat about documentation
<fluffypony> wallet42 has raised the idea of opening up the wiki on Github
<xmrpromotions> https://twitter.com/Falkvinge/status/731833882102910977 wants to meet you too
<fluffypony> the advantages of this is that it keeps the documentation close to the code
<fluffypony> and you can PR to the wiki or (I think) edit it inline
<fluffypony> xmrpromotions: oh neat
<fluffypony> in fact, the wiki creates a .wiki.git project that's invisible-ish
<fluffypony> so it makes syncing to GitLab easy (setting up a GitLab mirror is on the list of things to do)
<fluffypony> downside is that you can't edit it anonymously, although creating a GH account is trivial
<fluffypony> and the other downside is that we have tons of scattered documentation right now
<fluffypony> so my thinking is that the wiki is a good idea for documentation, BUT then we need to kill off all these other sources of info
<dEBRUYNE> ^ I don't mind putting part of it together
<fluffypony> so the Monero wikia has to be shuttered and that info moved over
<ArticMine> There is information all over BCT
<dEBRUYNE> we could put the guides from Moneroexamples over there too, but he doesn't necessarily have to shutdown his "source" imo
<fluffypony> same goes for dev guides etc. on the website - we should instead spend the effort writing a small Ruby plugin for the site that pulls in info from the wiki and formats it appropriately
<fluffypony> then the wiki becomes a primary source of info
<fluffypony> dEBRUYNE: yeah we could do the same thing with MoneroExamples
<fluffypony> just have a plugin that grabs it from his repos and formats it
<fluffypony> if anyone has an issue with this speak now or forever hold your peace
<i2p-relay> {-anonimal} Such consolidation sounds like a good idea.
<dEBRUYNE> fluffypony: Yeah that'd be fine too
<dEBRUYNE> as long as it consolidates the information to a central place it's fine
<fluffypony> I'll leave the question open till the start of the Kovri meeting, if nobody has major objections raised by then I'll consider the decision in favour of the GitHub wiki
<ArticMine> It is actually really needed We have info all over the place
<fluffypony> (we discussed this here a few days ago as well, and everyone generally seemed in favour of it)
<fluffypony> ArticMine: agreed
<xmrpromotions> I like the idea. Consolidation and simplification should hopefully encourage more people to contribute to it
<fluffypony> that's it from my side - next meeting will be on the 5th of May, same time
<fluffypony> if anyone has anything they want to discuss, or any other points they want to bring up, now's the time
<fluffypony> we have 20-ish minutes till the Kovri meeting
<ArticMine> I am looking at the fee structure
<moneromooo> Does anyone fancy hacking the pool code to check top hash ?
<moneromooo> It shold be fairly easy.
<i2p-relay> {-anonimal} fluffypony: s/May/June/
<dEBRUYNE> ArticMine: Is your research going to be put in a somewhat formal paper?
<moneromooo> er, s/hacking/amending/ for the peanut gallery.
<ArticMine> I'll start with a post on getmonero forum to get feedback ideas
<ArticMine> then one can develop a paper
<dEBRUYNE> all right
<ArticMine> Along the lined of my prior post on BCT regarding the adaptive block limit and penalty function. There are issues with respect to to many options in fees with RingCT
<dEBRUYNE> Is anyone willing to work on adding Monero to Bitsquare? Afaik it's only a few minor tweaks in the UI code, see issue here -> https://github.com/bitsquare/bitsquare/issues/392 | I might be able to try if I got some more time, emphasis on try though
<fluffypony> anonimal: thanks, lol
<moneromooo> To th UI of… ?
<dEBRUYNE> Bitsquare itself
<dEBRUYNE> It needs an additional field for the tx key
<moneromooo> Ah, I just saw the screenshot.
<dEBRUYNE> It's mainly to resolve disputes, if any occur
<dEBRUYNE> Btw fluffypony, any ETA on a new point release that includes the performance branch? Or are we awaiting any more PRs?
<gingeropolous> ArticMine, i look forward to the adaptive fee structure thread
<luigi1112> Oh high team
<luigi1112> Hi team too
<gingeropolous> hi luigi1112
<fluffypony> dEBRUYNE: more PRs, also gives us time to see if there are issues with auto-convert
<fluffypony> *more issues
<xmrpromotions> hi luigi1112
<moneromooo> What would I do if I wanted to try and repro that problem ? just pull, build, run ?
<dEBRUYNE> fluffypony: all right
<gingeropolous> im just curious… is 0mq gonna happen before ringCT? or … or all at once?
<fluffypony> moneromooo: yeah
<fluffypony> gingeropolous: no clue
<moneromooo> I'm certainly doing nothing about it.
<gingeropolous> well there's months until the next hardfork… though i guess 0mq doesn't affect consensus protocols?
<dEBRUYNE> well it was either Ring CT or 0MQ for you afaik moneromooo and I think we decided last time that Ring CT was the priority (this is just to clarify to anyone reading)
<fluffypony> ok starting the meeting relay for the Kovri meeting