- The MRL team has thoroughly investigated BulletProofs
- Roughly a drop-in replacement with 10% the size of original proofs
- Roughly the same speed.. perhaps a teensy bit faster
- Work will begin shortly to convert the Java test code to C/C++
- MultiSig is progressing.
- A variety of bugfixes were merged (hyc counts 72 merged pull requests)
- Disguising password lengths during user input
- Database locking updates
- BSD fixes
- A fix for show_transfers missing an incoming input
- Team has grown to 20 people
- Milestone #1 complete
- A prototype will be shown at this weeks Monero Munich Meeting
- monero-core has been renamed to monero-gui
- Theming is being worked on: https://i.imgur.com/89YFUj7.png
- Work is being down to make the GUI more responsive.
- The Monero Integrations team is ready to release a Magento plugin. Work is ongoing for OpenCart
<xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Hey everyone! I don't know if fluffypony will be here today, but let's see about getting this thing started. <unknownids> fyi msvb-lab jwinterm controls monerobux, or vice versa we never figured it out <hyc> ok, it can be a quick meeting if not <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> luigi1111 ArticMine othe smooth moneromooo Jaquee hyc sgp <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> tag all the people! <msvb-lab> nioc: I mean with the letters U-T-C to make it obvious. <Jaquee> hey <rbrunner> Hoi zäme <suraeNoether> howdy <[-mugatu-]> o/ <endogenic> o/ <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> sarang, knaccc <sgp_[m]> Hi <gingeropolous> \o <sarang> hello <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> https://github.com/monero-project/meta/issues/138 we can be quick today <knaccc> 'lo <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Kinda already did 'Greetings' <vtnerd> hello <ArticMine> Hi <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Hello to everyone idling in the peanut gallery <msvb-lab> Hello. <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> 2. Brief review of what's been completed since the previous meeting <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Can we get a mini-update from dev, gui, hardware, and mrl? <sarang> I can speak for MRL <sarang> We've been thoroughly investigated bulletproofs, a new form of CT range proofs <hyc> is moneromooo here? <moneromooo> Yes <endogenic> have one thing to bring up <endogenic> when there's time <sarang> They should function as essentially a drop-in replacement that is 10% the size of the original proofs (for one output; even smaller for multiple outputs) <sarang> with about the same verification time; possibly a teensy bit faster * dxdr (~email@example.com) has joined <sarang> Kudos to andytoshi for a lot of great help on those, and others <hyc> it's like a TARDIS! the bigger the input the smaller the output! /s <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> So it's looking really promising that it'd be good for us? <sarang> yes <sarang> We'll start translating the Java test code over to C/C++ for more detailed work <suraeNoether> it's a win-win: smaller-spaced range-proofs, with the same verification time <sarang> There were some doubts about ver time, but we literally just had a convo over in MRL that pointed out a simple caching that helps us <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> MRL, folks. Let's give 'em a hand. <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> o/ <sarang> It was pointed out, though, that there's very little randomness hanging around, which could affect storing stuff "in the randomness" <sarang> That may be a deepe discussion for later <suraeNoether> yeah, using these range proofs makes encrypting messages with range proofs far less do-able <sarang> *deeper <gingeropolous> eh who cares <msvb-lab> MRL is excellent, nice. <suraeNoether> andytoshi is really the one who nailed it, btw <sarang> aye <suraeNoether> aaaaand all his co-authors <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Can we send them a fruit basket? <endogenic> +1 <suraeNoether> which has included, for a second time, Jonathan Bootle <sarang> rehrar set up an FFS for it <sarang> 0.2 XMR <suraeNoether> and for the N^th time, greg maxwell <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> 100 XMR requested <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> biggest fruit basket ever <sarang> Anyhoo, that's the big news from MRL right now, I suppose <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> awesome. Thanks so much. <suraeNoether> multisig is looking like i will be ready to hand it off to sarang by the end of the month, as hoped. <suraeNoether> and thats it for now <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Anyone else have an update since the last meeting two weeks ago? <ArticMine> This is huge from a scaling perspective <hyc> absolutely <hyc> dev has done a tone of PR merges latelt <hyc> lately <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> can you summarize them? <hyc> there's still been build issues with readline dependencies but I think they're pretty much sorted by now * dnaleor has quit (Quit: Leaving) <hyc> we've isolated readline from GUI dependencies, etc. <hyc> mooo can probably summarize better <endogenic> vtnerd says "oh good" <endogenic> "woo" <moneromooo> Hmm. I can go look at github: <moneromooo> (mostly small things anyway) <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> FP confirmed he can't make it today. He sends his apologies. <moneromooo> disguising password length in prompt I guess is still a small thing, but user visible * buddd (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <moneromooo> less unnecessary locking in some DB readers, which should speed up some RPC <moneromooo> Fixes for BSD build * Keniyal has quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds) <moneromooo> The wallet does not fetch unneeded hashes anymore (ie, starts direct from 1.4e6) <moneromooo> CORS (for those who know what it is) <moneromooo> A fix for show_transfers missing more than one incoming input in a tx <moneromooo> And I think the rest is either prior to last meeting, or small/internal stuff. <hyc> yeah but it comprises a couple dozen PRs between then and now <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> Alright, awesome. Thanks moneromooo. * rehrar (~Critical@173-12-204-46-Albuquerque.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) has joined <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> hardware, I know you give updates in community, but I think most of us that know are excited about the rapid progress you're making <xmrmatterbridge> <rehrar> care to share something small about what's been going down? <msvb-lab> Hardware; we've settled our initial workflows and have built a twenty strong team. Journals are taking notice (see press) and the project is moving along. <msvb-lab> https://taiga.getmonero.org/project/michael-rfc-hwallet-1-implementation/wiki/press/ <msvb-lab> I'll mark our forum proposal milestone 1 as concluded today probably. <msvb-lab> We now have an open call to any interested in a hardware wallet, become part of the project and possibly test a prototype. See: <msvb-lab> https://taiga.getmonero.org/project/michael-rfc-hwallet-1-implementation/wiki/preview/ * buddd has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer) <msvb-lab> I'll demonstrate our two current working protoypes at this week's first ever Monero Munich meeting. * buddd_ (~email@example.com) has joined <msvb-lab> That's all, any questions? <sgp_[m]> What do you expect those who receive the prototypes to test? <msvb-lab> Very weak expectations, hopefully each finds their own way to contribute and strengthen the project. <msvb-lab> There's a test plan page, where people can make comments while testing. <msvb-lab> But that is just one of many choices, each individual can make on their own. <msvb-lab> Pretty lame answer no? <rehrar> Alright, thanks msvb-lab! <msvb-lab> Thanks for the opportunity. <moneromooo> Sounds like pretty nice stuff is going on there, congrats :) <hyc> (I counted 72 PRs merged since last dev meeting) <msvb-lab> hyc: Who make most of the merges, fluffy? <rehrar> So, we've got Code + ticket discussion / Q & A time available for the devs to discuss dev-y things. But all the mergy stuff may have to wait because of FP absence, but if there's other business to take care of, devs you have the floor <hyc> yes he does all the merges <hyc> we didn't get a report from GUI <rehrar> oh, right! so sorry. <rehrar> Anybody working on GUI have stuff to talk about. <unknownids> ping Jaquee ? <endogenic> so i've been chatting with mooo, Jaquee, and vtnerd recently about integrating MyMonero with the native mainline libwallet <Jaquee> sorry. i'm on the run <endogenic> signs point to integrating with wallet_api <endogenic> I may end up tackling a small portion of factoring wallet2 <rehrar> ok, no worries Jaquee. <moneromooo> As long as not too many gratuitous changes ^_^ <endogenic> 100% mooo <hyc> all variable and class names being filtered thru pig-latin <gingeropolous> dsc_, in here :) <dsc_> :) <msvb-lab> Is our GUI crew considered only monero-gui, or are mymonero.com and Moneruj (Android) included as well? <dsc_> has it started? <endogenic> lol hyc <rehrar> I think GUI crew is people who work on the monero-gui repo <rehrar> mymonero and Monerujo are their own thing <rehrar> dsc_ has what started? <dsc_> the meeting :D <rehrar> oh, yeah. We're about half hour in. :) <hyc> oh - that's worth mentioning too - the repo is now properly named monero-gui, no longer monero-core <msvb-lab> rehrar: So Monerujo communicate on a different channel, right? <rbrunner> That rename is a milestone :) <rehrar> Monerujo utilizes the Mattermost where they have a private channel for the devs and core team, and a public channel for questions. They've also got a Taiga to track progress. <dsc_> aight, so I'm working on a black theme for `monero-gui` (qt5) .. learning QML in the process. Trying to get some more UX developers involved and generally just trying to document things as I go <rehrar> I can rep Monerujo though, as I'm heavily involved with them <rehrar> they've got some exciting stuff coming <rehrar> yes, can you link your thread dsc_? <dsc_> sure <rehrar> The one you made a few days ago. <dsc_> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/7dvwq0/contributing_to_monero_as_an_ux_developer_short/ <rehrar> in the comments there are the various proposals for redesigning the GUI. Are there any thoughts on any of those? <rehrar> well, first dsc_ you wanted to say something, go ahead. :) <dsc_> No I was finished :P <dsc_> but to answer your question: There are 3 UI proposals of which I picked the one that was most trivial to implement <dsc_> seeing as I'm just one guy with zero QML experience, hehe. <dEBRUYNE> rehrar: Basically we're first kind of going for the dark theme, which will have a light mode as well <dEBRUYNE> Because it's most trivial to implement <dEBRUYNE> (only requires minor changes to the current design) <rehrar> https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core/issues/419 <rehrar> https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core/issues/869 <rehrar> https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core/issues/949 <dEBRUYNE> Some screenshots -> https://i.imgur.com/89YFUj7.png <rehrar> for those interested <rehrar> Ok. Cool deal! <dEBRUYNE> To clarify, the dark theme is #949 <hyc> cool <dEBRUYNE> dsc_ also made a PR which should make the GUI more responsive <dsc_> cant make any predictions as to when I have some tangible, taking quite some time...! <dsc_> s/some/something/ <dEBRUYNE> Also, we're aiming to include subaddresses and multisig somewhere in the future^tm * Keniyal (~Keniyal@unaffiliated/keniyal) has joined <dEBRUYNE> And, once there is a core appstore account, we'll start testing the ios port of the GUI * amiuhle (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined <dEBRUYNE> There'll be an android port as well, fwiw <msvb-lab> dEBRUYNE: Is Qt5 easy to port to mobile? <sgp_[m]> Is there a new android APK to test? I last saw one months ago <dEBRUYNE> sgp_[m]: Buildbot produces APKs iirc <dEBRUYNE> Let me check <pigeons> No that isn't setup now <dEBRUYNE> msvb-lab: Jaquee did it, so better to ask him :P <pigeons> I can't promise next week even, very busy <dsc_> rehrar: To give you an idea, right now I have this: https://i.imgur.com/iLwupdB.png <dsc_> or to give anyone an idea for that matter :) <Slack_3> <serhack> Hello <rehrar> looks pretty chill imo :D <dsc_> aye aye <dsc_> WIP ofc :) * amiuhle has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer) <rehrar> I personally think there needs to be a bit of a restructuring of some info, but this is a good meantime <dsc_> agreed <hyc> good stuff <hyc> would be nice to get a more recent android build up for people to test <rehrar> Alright. That's it from GUI? No other opinions on dEBRUYNE and dsc_ stuff either? <hyc> looks like we can move on to ticket Q/A <rehrar> ok Code + ticket discussion / Q & A <rehrar> hyc moneromooo can you two take the lead for this? * valentinbuza (~valentinb@unaffiliated/valentinbuza) has joined <moneromooo> Well, if anyone has questions about them, please ask. <hyc> I'd leave it to mooo. I'm not aware of any open questions <hyc> ^^ <dEBRUYNE> <rehrar> Alright. That's it from GUI? <= Yep <dsc_> ticket Q/A != discussing open PR's, right? <hyc> sure <hyc> ask away <dsc_> low hanging fruit PRs (that can probably be merged): #919, #954, #963 on monero-gui <dsc_> not so much a question ^_^ <hyc> probably ask luigi to merge them if fluffy is unavailable <iDunk> luigi merges GUI PRs anyway :) <dsc_> alright <rehrar> I think luigi is out for a few days, so be patient. (: <rehrar> Alrighty, shall we move on? <rehrar> FFS Formalization: https://github.com/monero-project/meta/pull/87 <Slack_3> <serhack> Is there meeting? <hyc> serhack started 40 minutes ago <rehrar> we probably don't have time for a large discussion (if at all), but I just wanted to encourage the devs to take a look at the PR <Slack_3> <serhack> Oh <Slack_3> <serhack> I forgot it <rehrar> The idea of having a set of formalized guidelines for FFS proposals going forward has been thrown around a lot. It'd be good to get some opinions on how this is laid out and any concerns that may arise from it. <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> I didn't understand well: is the project funded by ffs an Official project? <ArticMine> Does the current system work? <rehrar> There's been hiccups ArticMine. fireice and guzzi come to mind. <endogenic> those seem like complete outliers :P <endogenic> not exactly legit claims to issues imo <rehrar> Largely based on de facto expectations that are not actually formalized. <msvb-lab> How do we learn about the hickups mentioned (in order to understand context?) <endogenic> but proposals could stand to be more concrete, specific, detailed, <endogenic> rehrar: formalization can be a bit of a rabbit hole as well <endogenic> sometimes humans need to be involved <endogenic> ppl need to recognize the situation before a formal plan can be applied <hyc> indeed. current US political situation reflects this - institutions are designed assuming good faith in all participants <endogenic> but if the situation is not able to be recognized by ppl then how can it be applied for the desired result? <hyc> nobody can take all the time needed to identify every possible abusable loophole <rehrar> What we have currently is a Core Team centered way of resolving disputes that, to my knowledge, hasn't really been utilized since I've been here <rehrar> since we've got that right now, maybe we stick with it? <endogenic> but identifying loopholes and plugging them is not a bad thing <endogenic> it's just that they need to be done by humans imo <ArticMine> We may need some tweaking to deal with the hiccups; but as afar as I can see at a fundamental level the system is working <rehrar> don't know where else the graphic is, so I'll just link it here: https://getkovri.org/contributing.html <rehrar> bottom of the page * defterade_ (~AndChat54@188.8.131.52) has joined <rehrar> This has not been formally replaced, so it is currently active. We can discuss that at a later time though. Let's move on. * defterade has quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds) <rehrar> 5. Any additional meeting items <rehrar> If anyone has anything, speak up. :) <moneromooo> If anyone wants to test multisig, feel free. PR 2134. <gingeropolous> is there a set date for the next code freeze? <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> A little update by me about Monero Integrations <rehrar> go for it serhack * ferretinjapan has quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds) <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> So we (I and cryptochangements) are going to release Magento Plugin, In the past few weeks, we worked on a new cool payment box for Monero Integrations. <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> I am currently working on OpenCart too so I think we can release Magento payment box the next week.. <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> I have talked to OpenBazaar too and they have told me that Monero + Openbazaar would be nice.. it will be a difficult task but I think I can do it <xmrmatterbridge> <serhack> you can go on, rehrar <moneromooo> Everytime I read OpenBazaar, it makes me want to punch that scammer from a few years back... <rehrar> alright, thanks man :) <rehrar> atrides? <moneromooo> That's the one. <rehrar> doesn't he still run Dwarfpool? <gingeropolous> yeah, and ppl still mine on it <rehrar> We should encourage them not to * potyt_ (~email@example.com) has joined <rehrar> Either way: 6. Confirm next meeting date/time <rehrar> December 3rd? Same time? <gingeropolous> so no freeze date, eh? * TinusMars has quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds) <rehrar> Should we move time because daylight savings? <moneromooo> About mid december <gingeropolous> word. <ArticMine> Please do not move the time <moneromooo> Or january. Unclear. <rehrar> ok, time not moved * dxdr has quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds) <rehrar> FP would have a better answer? <hyc> isn't a release due in January? <hyc> and we're supposed to freeze a month before <iDunk> March <gingeropolous> well dec or jan gives us 3 months <hyc> ok <rehrar> There's a new freeze/release schedule isn't there? <hyc> mebbe someone can open a meta issue and set some dates into it <gingeropolous> i thought we had 3 months of freeze for more testing / fixing than before .... * potyt has quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds) <moneromooo> 3 months of freeze is gonna make me punch someone else :P <moneromooo> It's branch, then release from the brnch aftrer 2-3 months. <moneromooo> It's already painful when stuff doens't get merged after a month. <ArticMine> The big one is the bullet proofs * potyt_ has quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds) <gingeropolous> right. i thought branch is a freeze... i.e., feature freeze.... i.e., freeze on adding wacky new stuff that requires bandaloots and warples <moneromooo> That's not likely to be ready by then. * defterade (~AndChat54@ip565ee97d.direct-adsl.nl) has joined * defterade_ has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer) <gingeropolous> but yeah... perhaps that should be documented somewhere <rehrar> (Not to interrupt, but meeting is over for those who need to go, discussion can of course continue) * potyt (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined * jtgrassie (~jtgrassie@2607:fb90:789:8ce6:54e8:2254:1068:8d49) has joined <rehrar> Alright. You guys are the best! thanks for being a part of this community, and developing the software we all know and love as Morono <msvb-lab> rehrar: Thanks, good flow of topics, great moderation.