Monero (XMR) is a new privacy-centric coin using the CryptoNote protocol. The open source reference implementation of CryptoNote was coded from scratch based on the CryptoNote reference implementation, and is not a fork of Bitcoin.
Monero aims to be a fungible and untraceable digital medium of exchange. It intrinsically has a higher degree of privacy than Bitcoin or any of its various forks. It was launched on April 18, 2014 (preannounced and no premine/IPO/etc.).
- PoW algorithm: CryptoNight
- CPU + GPU mining (about 1:1 performance for now). Memory-bound by design using AES encryption and several SHA-3 candidates.
- Max supply: ~18.4 million
- Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.
- Block reward: Smoothly varying
- Uses a recurrence relation. Block reward = (M - A) * 2-20 * 10-12, where A = current circulation. Roughly 86% mined in 4 years.
- Block time: 60 seconds
- Difficulty: Retargets at every block
- I2P integration in the works (if your transaction is anonymous but your IP is visible to anyone, you are not anonymous anymore) - partnership with Privacy Solutions.
- Impossible to examine blockchain for tracking funds (except if you decide to give the viewkey to someone), behaves like cash. "True electronic cash".
- Very active and open development. Read the weekly Monday Monero Missives on the OP or Monero interview.
- "Underpromise, overdeliver". No false promises, no bullshit. Growth is mostly by word-of-mouth. High signal-to-noise ratio.
- The highest concentration of reputable Bitcointalk members supporting it, beside Bitcoin itself. Look at the name/status/reputation of the people interested in it, that should speak by itself. One of the few cryptos to have reached 7 stars at the Coinssource Trust Index.
- Pure PoW, no Proof of Scam.
- Number one in volume on Poloniex from day 1, it even has its own market now. Much more liquid than most cryptos (liquid = good).
- No premine/ninjamine/instamine/fastmine/hidden lauch; devtome-sanctioned.
- Algorithm meant for better balance between CPU and GPU, pretty good ASIC resistance.
- No blockchain halving generating artificial price moves - instead, smoothly decreasing emission rate.
- RPC wallet incoming.
- Adaptive limits. No artificial 1MB blocksize limit
- Fast 60 second block confirmations
- Some testimonials: Aminorex, rpietila
- Sophisticated future-proof alias system
- jehst's long post
- Animated GIF explanation
- Reply to Darkcoin, Anoncoin, Shadowcash, Monero, extensive reply to a "buying advice"
- Official Site: https://monero.cc/
- Official Forum: https://forum.monero.cc/
- BitcoinTalk Announcement/Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0
- : https://twitter.com/monerocurrency
- : https://www.facebook.com/monerocurrency
- : http://www.reddit.com/r/monero
- : https://plus.google.com/101861896996947433029/posts